Sunday, May 16, 2010

We ♥ Vintage Part 1

This weekend I was led to believe that there would be a Craft Fair on at the Perth Convention Centre. So on Saturday I pried myself from a warm and comfy bed and got dressed and ready and was on my way after a breakfast of croissants with the boyfriend. When I got to said Convention Centre (after a long walk from the Esplanade without realizing that there is an entrance from the Bus Port saving myself a 10 minute walk, but whatever, it was a nice morning) I only saw signs for the Careers and Traineeships Expo and a Franchising Expo. I was thoroughly disappointed. I found a receptionist/concierge type and asked what was what and why there was no Craft Fair. Her reply was 'There seems to be some misinformation, quite a few people have come in here asking about it. You crafty lot are good natured though, no one has gotten angry yet'. Well I wasn't going to taint our 'crafty lot's' reputation by flying off the handle, so I debated for a little while whether to stay in the city or go to Mt. Lawley and meet the boyfriend there before he had this radio interview thing.

So at the Esplanade I bought some credit and a Bounty (for a bit of a moral boost), promptly called my mother and expressed my disappointment, and then she cheered me up by telling me that she made stew for dinner and my sister and her new husband would be joining us. Off to Mt. Lawley I went with the taste of chocolate and coconut in my mouth and Band of Horses in my ears.

Well when I finally got to 'the hippest suburb in Perth' according to Getaway, I had done the right thing, because as I was walking past the Flying Scotsman, a hip and trendy pub, I saw one of those tee pee signs that sits on the sidewalk advertising a We ♥ Vintage Market place at the Flying Scotsman with the dates underneath, and there was one today! So I looked further down the sidewalk and there it was. I saw records, old radios, Cd's, tapes, scarves, some furniture and pottery. I was immediately attracted to this, it was $20 and I thought 'not bad, I need some more wall hangings'. As I turned around I noticed that there was more inside, so I politely asked this kind gentleman if he could keep it aside for me while I looked inside (the crack in the glass was due to transporting it, it was perfect when I got it).


Well I don't know if going inside was a mistake or not because I spent pretty much all my money, I even went to withdraw more cash, so it's safe to say I went crazy in all that vintage splendor. I must note that this isn't 'vintage' like things you could find in an op-shop yourself, but they found it first and added $30 to the original price. There were women there who have been collecting various items like hats, shoes, purses etc. for a very long time. My first purchase was this beautiful compact which I put back at first because it was quite expensive, and I picked up another smaller one, and inquired about it's price which was $30. I had my heart set on getting a compact, ever since I saw an episode of Trash to Cash where they find this collection of beautiful art deco compacts, I have wanted to create my own collection.























No comments:

Post a Comment