Monday, June 14, 2010

Push by Sapphire



A while ago I saw a movie called Precious at the Luna on SX, it was a very hard movie to watch, and it's the kind of movie you can only see once because it's so heartbreaking and tragic. It was adapted from a book called Push by the author Sapphire who has also published a book of poetry. I don't know why I read the book, it was just as hard if not harder to get through than the movie. But I was glad I did it because I learnt something from it, if Precious can go through all the things that she went through and still be OK, and ready to live her life then I have no reason to complain, about anything.
The story is based around a 16 year old girl named Claireece Precious Jones, and it is narrated from her perspective. She is pregnant for the second time by her father, who she never sees anymore, lives with her abusive and obese mother who only wants Precious to go on welfare and stay home because 'the bitch it to stupid to do anything else'.
However through all the abuse, rape and poverty Precious endures there is an under current of hope. She is determined to finish high school and get her G.E.D so she can provide for her children and be a good mother. It's very funny at times which is refreshing especially after all the heavy issues of rape, oppression and AIDS. I don't know if this is a book I would recommend to people because even though the overall message is hope it is very depressing at times, and people choose to read because it's an escape, and why would you want to escape to 1980s Harlem where everything looks bleak and tragic? You can't help admire Precious though, if you're brave enough to read it, read it to enjoy her character. She's unlike anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment